Canadian universities are located both in city centres and out of the city in every region of the country. Canadian universities have an international reputation for both education and research. The education offered by Canadian universities is equivalent to education in state universities in the United States and other countries. In Canada, universities are mostly financed by the government, so the quality of education of universities is very high regardless of the region or the type of education they provide.

The number of full-time students changes between 1.000 and 35.000 in the universities. In addition, most of the universities have many part-time students as well. Apart from undergraduate and postgraduate programs, it is possible to study in doctoral and certificate programs at the universities. University fees change depending on the region and the type of education they provide.

The academic year starts in September and ends in May in Canada. Some of universities have a trimester system which you can take semesters or all courses during the summer months. There is no general university placement test for Canada, each university has its own entry requirements and standards.

Canada has two official languages (English and French) in the education so it is possible to study for international students to in English and French. Even though some universities have brochures in both languages, speaking both languages are not a condition for your acceptance for the universities in Canada.

Students whose native language is not English, are required to take either TOEFL or IELTS exams in order to be accepted for the programmes. Even though TOEFL is more common in Canada, some of the universities accept either IELTS or their internal language test.

If you would like to study a programme in French, unfortunately there is no international language test to check your level. However, French universities are able to apply individual written exams to the students to check their language level.

In some cases, it is possible for the student to study one or two semesters in Canada and complete their programme in their own country. Or vice versa, they may begin their undergraduate studies in their own countries and complete in Canada. In either case, you should also check the program equivalent between your university and the university you want to study.